Monday, March 12, 2012

i did it!

I saw this shirt at the race expo at the beginning of the Disney Princess 1/2 Marathon Weekend. I decided that is the shirt I wanted...but was it true? Did I heart 13.1 miles?? I had only ever done 10 miles...and how did I even do that? I had been to these race expos before. My running hubby had me along to get his race packet multiple times. But this time was different. How did I get to be the one standing in line to get my number to run a HALF MARATHON?

I wasn't quite sure and it didn't quite seem real but I was there. And I was surprisingly excited. I've never really cared about competition. I would rather let someone else win. I've always thought of myself as pretty lazy if I'm being totally honest. But something about the thought of this race got me going. I knew I wasn't going to win. I just wanted to finish. I wanted to be able to tell myself that I had done it. Having friends to do it with me helped a lot...

Especially when we all met in the lobby of the hotel at 3:30 in the morning! I didn't sleep much the night before and I was the first to arrive at our meeting point...as I watched the other ladies boarding the bus to the race (literally hundreds) I was losing my nerve. I mean these ladies were real runners...I was just a girl who decided to start training in November and made myself a tutu...a runner, I was not. Then I saw smiling, familiar faces...it made all the difference. The bus ride was full of conversation and excitement and laughing...

Kate and I ended up in the same corral to start the race. I am so thankful she was there to keep me laughing. The race didn't start for us until 6:20 am...that is quite a wait in the chilly early morning air with nerves moving through you...But we were so excited! The fireworks and the Fairy Godmother to start the race were fantastic! Not to mention the energy from 20,000 runners...

As I was running through the castle at Magic Kingdom I happened to look up and see Kate! I couldn't believe it...we had not been together since the beginning and now almost 6 miles in, here she was. Kate was the photographer for my mile 6 shot...the only picture, I might add, of me during the race. Unlike my crazy husband, I did not stop for any pictures with all the characters along the race route. There were plenty but I was nervous that if I stopped I wouldn't start again. :)

It was tough...13.1 miles is a long way. Especially mile 8-12 for me...wow...I honestly don't remember much past mile 10. I just wanted to be done. I can't believe what a mental game running is...all the other people running with you doesn't matter...its all about you and your ability to stick with it. I did it. I was slow but I did it. And so did all my other princesses that started with me in that hotel lobby at 3:30 in the morning. I'm so proud of us!

...and yes, I bought the I heart 13.1 shirt. And I do. Well, that day I didn't. We drove home from Orlando that day so I was stuck in the car and honestly felt like death---but the next day I felt great! I was pleasantly surprised how un-soar I was. So, yes, I think I'll do it again...maybe even a bit faster next time...I guess I'm a runner now.

No comments: