Sunday, October 6, 2013

a year of Mickey

If you've known me for long then you know that I love Disney World.  Its in my blood.  I grew up within a 3 hour distance from this magical place and had a number of family members that worked for the Mouse.  That means we went a lot.  I honestly thought that was pretty normal.  I mean, it was my normal.  I knew it was special and I loved it.
We went often but we never went for long.  When we went we were there before the park opened and we went ALL DAY LONG.  Quickly.  And not just one park.  Oh no...we were hoppers.  We often hit all 3 (yes I'm that old) in one day.  The first time Dave and I went together by ourselves with our own kids, we went in the gate and I took off.  Catching up with me he asked, "Where are we going?"  I stopped.  I had no idea.  I just knew that my Grandpa taught me my Disney pace and I was keeping the tradition alive. :)

Luckily, when Dave and I were dating and went to Epcot for a Christmas show he got hooked on the magic, too.  To outsider, non-Disney-folk, they would have thought that we took our kids to see the Mouse a lot.  We would go a few times a year.   And it was fun.  But not enough...

For over 2 years we have seriously thought about getting Annual Passes to Disney.  And because Dave is the most patient man alive, he let me have the final choice...he would have done it years ago.  But I had lessons to learn. And if I have learned anything in the last few years it is that life is way too short and that so much of it is spent on waiting or preparing for "later".  But that only works if we are lucky enough to get "later"...

So I'm trying really hard to be in the here and now.  Enjoy the moments...even the hard ones.  Because, yes, they pass...but so do the good ones.  We gotta hold on.  Before we know it our kids will be gone...off on their own adventures.  And, yes, I'm in total denial that before they are officially "gone" they will most likely not think too highly of being with us.

Sooooo...we jumped.  (Don't worry---Dave Ramsey would be proud.  We saved our money for our Annual Passes BEFORE we purchased them.)  In September we got our passes...the kids were so excited when we told them they weren't just "tickets".  

So now its October.  And we've already spent 2 fun-filled weekends at the most magical place on earth.  And we've loved it.  I know my Grandpa would be so thrilled to know that are continuing our families tradition of having fun together.  But, I have to confess, that we're creating a new "Disney Pace".  Its still full but its a bit slower...and that's OK because our passes are unlimited for one year.  This is our "Year Of The Mouse". 

I love that I get to share the magic with my family.  And it truly is magical.  It never fails that, at least, once a visit I'm the weepy mommy hugging everyone and telling them how thankful I am that we are all there together and having fun.  And, not to brag, but we really do have the best kids.  They are so thankful and appreciative of this special gift that we have given them.  ----no, our kids aren't perfect.  There is whining about the heat or that their feet hurt or that they MUST have the whip just like Indiana Jones used (Sam) or the 1,000th stuffed animal MUST come home with us (RK) or god-forbid there is a stinky diaper (Millie)....oops, I guess that complaint is OK.  I can't tell you what a great motivator Disney has been for earning and saving money so they can have their 1 souvenir. :)

But, so far, I think the most important thing that our kids are learning over and over again is that we like being with them.  We like being a family all together dancing in the street in Hollywood Studios or singing really loudly in the hotel parking lot or learning about African dancers at Animal Kingdom. We like having fun.  And for that I have to thank the whole long line of crazies that came before me.  And my crazy husband that constantly reminds me to laugh and go with the flow and to slow down and enjoy the magic.

No comments: