Monday, April 23, 2012

bricks to babies

Over a year ago the leaders of our church started a somewhat difficult journey to find an international partner to join with for the long haul.  We wanted a partner that our kids could grow up with and that a large majority of our congregation would feel connected to.  After a long search, we chose a school in Jeffery's Bay, South Africa called "Ithemba".  That lovely word means hope...

For some reason I have felt a connection to this place from the very beginning...I just love how it started, how it runs on no funding...I am fascinated by the dynamics of the township that is around it and the impact we, as a church body, could have.

My friend Ally, along with her husband Micheal, traveled to the school to visit.  They came back with so much insight and stories and of course, pictures.
This one struck me the most.  This little girl is so proud of her brick.  Ally said she was treating it just like it was a baby.  What?  They don't have dolls?  Well of course not.  They live with dirt floors and barely have running water...why would they have dolls?  And yet...look how happy she is.  She doesn't know there is something better...

Well, one of the first things I thought of was "My mom sews!"  She, and so many other sewers, have so much scrap fabric just sitting in the closet...what can we do?
Fast forward to this past Saturday.  Since I had first told her about the picture in Ally's photo album, mom recruited fellow sewers and created a pattern.  Over 300 baby dolls have been sewed and donated and they were stuffed at a Baby Doll Bash at The Chapel.  Our kids, who have so much, giving to kids who don't...this summer these dolls will travel across the world.
This July a small group will travel to Ithemba to help train the teachers on the English-speaking curriculum that has been developed specifically by teachers in our congregation for this school.  This group will deliver hope to these children with education based in English.  Without it they have close to no chance for education past a young age or for a life outside of their little township.  Along with teaching the school the ins and outs of the curriculum, they will have baby dolls.  All the kids may not understand how the curriculum will serve them a better future but I'm thinking these baby dolls, made with love, will go a long way in increasing the hope...

*I'm proud of you, Mom!  Your hard work and generosity has and will continue to make a difference.  Who knows how far the hope will reach...


3 comments:

J. Harwell said...

I love you. And I love your Mama. You can tell her I said so.

That picture of all the dolls ready to go gave me chills.

Love you,

Jana

Rachel said...

LOVE this story!

Tara Peddicord said...

Carolyn has been telling me about this! it's so fantastic.