Sunday, May 27, 2012

thank you is not enough

I couldn't take my eyes off of him.

The gentleman across the mall from me in the blue shirt.

The ROTC was doing a flag presentation that I had seen before.

I have seen it at my Grandfather's funeral and again at my Daddy's.  Its a beautiful and heart-wrenching thing.

The announcer was explaining what each fold of the flag represented so it wasn't a quick ceremony...and yet he never flinched.  He had served and he was proud and was honoring all those that had served as well.

Including my Grandpa, my Daddy, and my husband.  They played all the branches of the military's songs and people came up and stood under the flags.  That always gets me.  My Daddy was always so proud when they played "his song".  He was a Marine.  He would say he IS a Marine...even though the uniform hadn't fit for many years...  I'm so thankful he came home from Vietnam when so many didn't.  If he hadn't, I wouldn't be typing right now. :)

While the Memorial Day Ceremony was getting started, I was explaining to Reilly-Kate why we celebrate this day.  She was shocked when I told her that in other countries we (as women) wouldn't be allowed to own our own business or live how we do.

When the theme to the Marine Corp started, Mom and I kind of lost it.  RK looked up at me and said, "Mommy are you sad because this is Pop's team?" yes, little one.

The man in the blue shirt across the mall that stood saluting honored men that I love and miss everyday.  And it was an honor to be in the same space with so many that have served our country in a way that, thankfully, I don't even have to imagine because they have served...and continue to serve.

Thank you is not enough.

1 comment:

Tara Peddicord said...

so beautiful, my friend.